Research

I snake in through the entrance of the cabana, timed so as to catch the creatures at leisure, and perhaps with their guards down. My presence is immediately noticed by the band, with several of them catching my gaze, but soon they resume their slow feasting. The silverback appears to tolerate my presence. He seems to be gesturing toward a darkened area about ten feet south of where we sit. I acquire a libation similar in appearance to the ones that are firmly gripped by each patron, and lurk toward the dimmer, humid space.
There are mostly females present. They engage one another in pairs, incoherently yapping. They, too, each grasp a libation similar to mine. The two furthest from me, immediately after acknowledging my foreign presence, begin a laughter so riotous I can not help but to feel immediately uncomfortable and concerned with my safety. I am able to quell my initial fight or flight instincts, and the band allows me to crouch near them after witnessing my consumption of their drink.
I engage in the subject closest to me with simplistic vocal patterns. She seems to respond well and we exchange noises briefly while continuing to make progress on our drinks. I can not help, however, after several minutes of this, that I should not overstay my welcome among these odd beings. Upon completing my beverage I slowly stand upright. The female who had been loudest of the group takes a step toward me, throwing her arms wide. I initially flinch, but soon realize that the girl only wants an embrace. It is simply amazing how the basic natural need of reciprocated affection is present pan-species on this glorious planet.

No comments: