Trepidative

Why did I feel compelled to arrive late to some silly work shindig? It's not like I wasn't invited. And they have food there. I came in at like seven and the first thing my manager asked me was 'Why are you so late?' Not even a 'hello?' Great. Didn'tt bode well for the hangout to follow. I mumbled some fib about having dinner plans (I had been eating alone just prior, reading) then made a beeline to the bar for some liquid courage. After overpaying (I'd arrived just twenty minutes after happy hour ended. Of course I did.) I slowly made my way to the fancy lounge area where I'd been told the rest of the crew were hanging. I mustered a loud-enough "Hello" and two girls furthest from me looked at each other and burst into laughter! The two most gorgeous girls in the office, at that! They must have been talking about me, how could the now have? What were they saying? Only thing for sure I would have to avoid any kind of contact with them for the rest of the evening, that's for damn sure.
I was relieved to see Melinda was seated right next to me and she scooted over on the bench to allow a spot for me to occupy. I'd always liked Melinda, she was probably the nicest one out of everyone at work. I don't even remember what we proceeded to talk about, really I was so still mortified by the cruel cackles of those girls. We interacted for maybe five minutes, as soon as I finished my bottle of beer I got up to leave. Fortunately, I remembered my manners and gave the birthday girl a hug before saying goodbye. I am pretty sure it was appropriate to hug her at that time, and that the hug was of an appropriate duration. Her hair smelled of lavender.

No comments: